I’ve only been on two rollercoasters in my life. The first, a tiny rollercoaster near Glasgow.
And the second was the world’s fastest rollercoaster… The Formula Rossa in Abu Dhabi.
I was in Abu Dhabi on a work trip and we went to Ferrari World. Early on the trip, I said I would not be riding it with the rest of the group, after my first rollercoaster experience.
Rewind to when I was 15. My friend (who loves rollercoasters) wanted to sit at the front and I agreed for some reason.
I dropped the f bomb all the way through it. Especially the loop.
Fast forward 18 years later and I’m wearing goggles on the Formula Rossa.
Goggles? Why the hell do I need goggles?! How fast is this thing?
Turns out the Formula Rossa accelerates from 0-149mph in 4.9 seconds… Oh boy. How do F1 drivers cope!? You actually reach 4.8Gs.
Nothing can prepare you for the acceleration. Midway through the acceleration, the sound in my ears turned to a high pitched ringing. I don’t remember seeing all that much either.
Before I knew it, we were going up the incline. Such is the force, my torso jolted forward. I was stuck at a 45 degree angle. I was unable to ‘right’ myself back until we hit the top of the incline.
After that, it was just a series of highs (of 52m) and lows. I actually enjoyed myself on this part of the ride as I could finally relax. So really the only thrilling part of the ride is the initial acceleration.
So, how scary is the world’s fastest rollercoaster? Not that scary. I found Hyperspace Mountain at Disneyland Paris scarier!
Overall, I’m glad I can say I did it!
Here are the 10 fastest rollercoasters in the world
- Formula Rossa – Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi – 149 mph
- Kingda Ka – Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey – 128 mph
- Top Thrill Dragster – Cedar Point, Ohio – 120 mph
- Red Force – Ferrari Land, Spain – 112 mph
- Dodonpa – Fuji-Q Highland, Japan – 107 mph
- Intimidator 305 – Kings Dominion, Virginia – 90 mph
- Millennium Force – Cedar Point, Ohio – 93 mph
- Steel Dragon 2000 – Nagashima Spa Land, Japan – 95 mph
- Leviathan – Canada’s Wonderland, Ontario – 92 mph
- Fury 325 – Carowinds, North Carolina – 95 mph